Friday 9 May 2014

In the begining....My Origonal Proposal

Trapping a Brain Fart:
I plan on exploring memory and how it’s intrinsically linked with objects, identity, places and the senses. Unconsciously we give these inanimate or intangible things depth and resonance by associating them with something meaningful. I’m interested in the fact that we can’t fully trust our memories; they are influenced and changed over time by our experiences, become layered and hazy. The layering of imagery is a method I’ve used repeatedly in print and will be bringing it into this semesters work to portray this idea. I want to explore my own experiences just after they happen when they first turn into a memory, fresh and unaltered by the brain. I don’t want to look at the memories that changed me, the ones that meant something. For this project I intend to look at the everyday silly shite, the things that if I wasn’t to make art about, they would never stay a memory because they’ve no real significance. I’ve been recording different personal experiences in one sentence below objects that were there but don’t directly relate to them similar in a sense to Chris Burden’s Coyote Stories series of prints. For this semester I intend to do one of these little sketches everyday so that when I finish I’ll have a journal of memories worth forgetting. My gran has alzhiemers and she can’t remember the big things only the little things in the moment, I remember the big things and forget the little. It’s important for me to do this project because I know how fleeting and fragile memory can be its the aspect about it that interests me the most and I want to record it before its gone even if it’s not worth recording. We store huge amounts of information in our long-term memory all our lives, not all of it accurate but it’s there and when we die it’s gone in a second. I also plan to go to my grandmothers nursing home to interview some of the residents and photograph items of theirs, particularly clothing. From these photographs I’ll make a series of prints with snippets of our conversations. I want to engage in 3D work this semester and intend to screen-print the resident’s portraits and words onto fabric and make an item of clothing or even wallpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment